Reginald Cotterel- Butler

1913-1981

Placeholder image

Sculptor, born in Buntingford, Hertfordshire. He trained as an architect, practising under the name of Cottrell Butler, 1936-50 and during this period he was also a lecturer at the Architectural Association, 1937-39 and in 1937 he was elected an Associate of the RIBA. Predominately untutored as a sculptor, he did attend life-classes at Chelsea School of Art. After working as a village blacksmith as a conscientious objector, at Iping in Sussex 1941-45, he took up sculpture and in 1947 became assistant to Henry Moore. In 1949, he held his first solo exhibition at the Hanover Gallery, London and the following year he was awarded a Gregory Fellowship at Leeds University for a three-year tenure. 

Read more...